Queenstown Airport is operating under the Orange setting of the 'traffic light' system and is following Ministry of Transport (MoT) guidelines specifically for airport terminals.
On this page, you’ll find up to date information about what the new framework means for anyone visiting or travelling through Queenstown Airport.
Scheduled domestic and international flights are operating at Queenstown Airport (ZQN) under Orange.
Face masks are required to be worn when inside the airport terminal and when travelling on public and passenger transport, including all flights, for those aged 12 and over.
Please make sure you give yourself extra time to check in for your flights.
When you are travelling into a different setting area, you will need to follow the guidance for that area when you are there.
- Face masks continue to be required in the terminal and on flights for those aged 12 and over, except when eating or drinking
- There are very specific rules for airports under the guidelines, so some of our operations may differ from other businesses you have seen - for example, airport food and beverage outlets are not required to check vaccine passports, however they may choose to
- You are allowed to enter the terminal to farewell or meet and greet friends and family
- Give yourself extra time to check in. Its gearing up to be a busy as travel resumes so please arrive at the airport 60 minutes before your flight to avoid any disruption
I’m travelling on an Air New Zealand flight, do I have to be vaccinated?
No, all airlines have removed their vaccination and testing requirements for domestic travel.
I’m picking up/dropping off passengers from Queenstown Airport, can I enter the airport terminal if I am not vaccinated?
Yes, you are welcome to enter the terminal to farewell or greet passengers. Please remember to wear your mask.
I have a negative COVID-19 test but I am not vaccinated, can I sit and dine at the airport restaurants and cafes?
Yes, all visitors to Queenstown Airport are welcome to visit our restaurants and cafes. Please practice physical distancing, where possible.
Can I travel anywhere in New Zealand if I’m in Orange?
Yes, there are no boundaries under the traffic lights. Please don’t travel if you are unwell, if you have been told to self-isolate because of COVID, or are waiting on the results for a COVID test.
Do I have to wear a mask?
Yes, people over the age of 12 entering the airport terminal or travelling on a flight are required to wear a face mask. You may remove the face mask temporarily to eat or drink.
Queenstown Airport’s priority is the health, well-being, safety and security of our people, customers, and community. We are continuing to monitor the COVID-19 situation, working closely with other airports, airlines, the Southern District Health Board, border agencies and the wider airport community to ensure consistent protocols are in place for safe domestic travel in New Zealand.
Remember the healthy habits to protect us
- Regularly wash and thoroughly dry your hands and use hand sanitiser.
- Sneeze and cough into your elbow.
- Keep your distance from people you do not know.
- Clean or disinfect shared surfaces often.
- If you have cold, flu or COVID-19 symptoms, stay home and call Healthline.
Need a COVID-19 Test in the district? Contact your GP or call O800 VIRUS-19 (0800 847 8719)
Healthline’s national dedicated COVID-19 number: 0800 358 5453