New parking options on the way for Queenstown Airport
06 Jun 2017
Picture: New Airport Park and Ride route and location map.
Southern Lakes residents and visitors alike will soon see some changes to parking at Queenstown Airport with a broader range of options and locations to be introduced from 1 July – providing greater choice for airport customers.
Queenstown Airport Chief Executive Colin Keel says the upcoming changes will help address the pressures related to parking around the airport associated with the significant increase in passenger numbers and community growth over recent years.
“The experience our customers have with parking sets the tone for the start of their travel experience. We have been out there over many months listening to residents and visitors, and benchmarking ourselves against other airports to improve the car parking products at Queenstown Airport,” Mr Keel says.
A public drop-off lane directly outside the terminal will be re-introduced on 1 July, along with various other changes.
“Bringing back a quick, convenient way to drop off travellers without going into the main carpark was the number one piece of feedback we received from local residents, so we’re re-establishing dedicated free 2-minute drop-off lanes,” says Mr Keel.
“Front door drop-offs haven’t been available for the past two years, but we have now completed a number of traffic flow and safety improvements at the entrance to the airport to enable them to be safely reinstated. Our airport operations team will ensure that the new area moves smoothly.”
Airport customers will have more choice with the new parking options at a range of prices:
- Free 2-minute (or P2) public drop-off lanes for when a quick farewell is all that’s needed to say goodbye to loved ones, friends or work colleagues.
- Free 20-minute (or P20) express pick-up and drop-off parks just inside Terminal car park A opposite the terminal. This is the longest free period available at airports around the country.
- Terminal Car Parks A and B with 450 conveniently located spaces situated close to the terminal building. For customers keen to do away with tickets and queuing at a pay station, new ‘Tap & Go’ technology has recently been introduced, making it easier and more convenient to pay by credit and debit cards.
- Park and Ride is the new 150-space facility on Brookes Road behind Mitre 10 Mega which will provide an affordable, safe and efficient option for those looking to park for two or more days. The service includes a free half-hourly airport shuttle. This facility is planned to increase to 300 spaces at the end of the year.
By December, Queenstown Airport’s public parking capacity will have increased by almost 70 per cent within a 12-month period.
Mr Keel says the range of parking options will provide local residents and visitors more choice and less stress when parking at the airport.
“As we continue to invest significantly in new parking infrastructure and technology, it’s been necessary to evaluate and adjust the charges for the convenient terminal parking offering with some prices increasing, some staying the same and others decreasing based on demand at certain periods.
“We have worked hard to balance these changes with the availability of the free 2-minute drop-off and 20-minute drop-off and pick-up options, and the new lower cost Park and Ride offering.”
From 1 September, once the two month introductory pricing finishes, Park and Ride rates will be on average $10 a day or $70 a week, with discounts kicking in after two weeks.
“We are anticipating strong uptake for Park and Ride, which is the best and most economical option for longer term stays. We’ve spoken with more than 1,000 people and, based on their feedback, more than 80 per cent have indicated a desire to give Park and Ride a go.” Mr Keel says.
“These changes together represent a major step forward in our long-term car parking and ground transport plan which will see further investment in technology and the launch of new products to make the parking experience as convenient as possible. We also continue to welcome the feedback of visitors and residents as we strive to make a visit to Queenstown Airport a memorable experience for all the right reasons,” said Mr Keel.
For more information click here.
Terminal Car Parking map highlighting the new car parking options:
New Terminal car park A and B pricing schedule from 1 July:
Park and Ride pricing schedule from 1 September:
- Queenstown Airport embarks on Airport Safety Week 2021
- Queenstown Airport partners with Chamber for new Women in Business Series
- Queenstown Airport offering free parking for locals
- Response to Christchurch Airport's Preliminary Aeronautical Assessment for a new Central Otago Airport
- New car park option in Queenstown
View All News