Park and Ride service upgraded with online booking launch
07 Dec 2018
Customers using Queenstown Airport’s Park and Ride service will be able to secure their parking space ahead of time with the launch of an online booking and payment solution from 10 December.
Following a successful 12+month trial, the 300-space car parking facility and 11-seater shuttle will continue to operate from the off-site location direct to the terminal, with some improvements to the customer experience.
Queenstown Airport Transport Manager Natalie Scott said the trial had been considered a success with the service well utilized, mainly by customers travelling from the regions.
“We’ve been encouraged by the good take-up over the trial period and it’s given us a chance to connect with customers and understand usage and what people value from the service,” said Ms Scott.
“We’ve been gathering regular passenger feedback via satisfaction forms and implemented improvements where we can to make the service more streamlined and simpler to use. The security of knowing there’s a space available for people when they arrive was a priority for many of our customers.”
“Being able to book airport parking as soon as your flights are booked is part of the travel process for most of us, much like you’d pre-book hotels, transfers etc. Plus not having to worry about where to park when you’re flying out can help take away some of the associated stress that can come with travel,” she added.
Bookings and payments will be powered by global online car parking provider Chauntry via its Parkspace platform. It gives customers control over their bookings, as they can book and securely pay online, manage their own bookings if circumstances change and enjoy ticketless entry and exit of the car park, reducing the need for paper tickets.
Parkspace is accessed via the Queenstown Airport website on desktop, smartphone and tablet versions. Online booking will be the easiest way to secure and pay for Park and Ride car parking from 10 Dec 2018.
Booking and paying for car parking online is the latest tool to be rolled out as part of the company’s plan to use technology and innovation to help improve the park-to -plane customer experience.
Pre-booking will initially only be available for the Park and Ride offering, but a rollout of the service across all airport car parking products is on the cards for next year.
Other updates for the Park and Ride service include moving the shuttle stop at the airport to a dedicated area outside the baggage claim arrivals door and adjustments to the road signage to improve wayfinding.
More about Park and Ride
Aimed at the wider regional community, the airport Park and Ride offers a safe, convenient, friendly and affordable solution when flying from Queenstown.
The 11-seater shuttle, plus luggage trailer runs on the hour and half hour and co-ordinates with the airlines’ timetables between the Park and Ride car park located in Brookes Road (behind Mitre 10 Mega and Pak‘n’Save) and the airport terminal. The shuttle departs the terminal for the return journey at 15 and 45 minutes past each hour.
Airport Park and Ride Fun Facts:
The Park & Ride service started on 22 June 2017. Since then over 8,416 customers have used the service from across the region. Some fun facts below:
- Number of total users- 8,416
- Busiest day was Christmas Day 2017 with 204 vehicles parked
- Longest paid stay 52 days
- Average occupancy per day 98 vehicles
- Customers mainly came from the regions, especially Wanaka, Cromwell, Alexandra, North Otago and Southland, with some coming from Arrowtown and Queenstown.
- 97.3% of customers surveyed would use the service again
- Customers surveyed ranked the service 4.42 out of 5 for ease of service
- Customers surveyed ranked the service 4.33 out of 5 for overall satisfaction.
- Some Tips for Stress-free Travel this Summer Holiday Season
- Queenstown Airport Announces Three-year Partnership with Wakatipu High School Foundation
- QAC achieves Living Wage Aotearoa accreditation
- Apron resurfacing project wins Sustainability Initiative of the Year Award at the New Zealand Airports Awards
- Lot 6 land to vest with Queenstown Airport Corporation
View All News