Queenstown Airport parking changes and improvements are coming…here’s what you need to know
21 Oct 2019
At QAC, we’re always looking at ways we can improve the customer experience and park-to-plane journey, in-line with our guiding principles of being memorable, adaptable, affordable and sustainable.
Airport parking can often be associated with travel stress; choosing the right parking product for you, finding a park before your flight, then often hotfooting it to the terminal to check-in just in the nick of time.
To help things a little more stress-free before you head away, we’re introducing new initiatives and upgrades to our car parking products.
We’ve listened to feedback from our customers (that’s you of course) and you asked us for more choice in parking options, based on convenience of the parking space and value for money. Park and Ride customers were also looking for enhanced security and better ways to secure and pay for a space.
The airport Park and Ride service is well utilised by customers from the wider Southern Lakes region and those wanting longer-term airport parking. Planning ahead is important for them, so online booking was introduced in December 2018 enabling people to secure a space ahead of time.
A review of the airport’s car parking offering also provided better insights into customer usage patterns resulting in some changes to the terminal and Park and Ride car parking charging structure. These will be implemented to create occupancy efficiency at the terminal car parks during peak times to ensure customers can get the park they want, when they want.
It’s our goal is to ensure customers are aware of the benefits of each Queenstown Airport car parking product so they can make the choice that best suits them ahead of travelling.
Here’s just some of the changes coming (valid from 1 November 2019):
Park and Ride Located just 15 minutes from the terminal by shuttle, Park and Ride is the most affordable airport parking option offered by Queenstown Airport, aimed at customers parking for long-term or with a little more time before their flight.
- Minimum 2-day stay.
- Online booking available since December 2018 to secure your space ahead of time and the best advanced rates.
- Parking sensors installed to show real-time availability of spaces, displayed on the website and the entrance to the airport on Lucas Place.
- Improved security with barrier arms installed and a data connection established to the site, providing a direct CCTV feed to the airport Operations Centre.
- Tap & Go (pay at barrier) installed giving customers the choice to not take a ticket and pay manually at the payment machines, enabling the removal of the current pay and display machine.
- A new 22-seater vehicle introduced offering increased capacity.
- New pricing, including advanced online booking discounts, will be available from 1 November 2019. $40 for 3 days and $10 for days thereafter (book online and in advance for best rates).
- Licence Plate Recognition (LPR) technology will be trialled once all the upgrades are implemented, as well as scoping the option to provide a toilet facility.
Terminal Parking (A and B) Located closest to the terminal for customers who value time and the convenience of a door-to-door parking space.
- P2 drop-off - Free
- P20 - 10 minutes free ($2 thereafter up to a maximum of 20 minutes)
- Short Stay - $4 for 40 minutes (see short term rates online for stays more than 40 minutes)
- $25 a day
- $155 for 7 days
- Accessibility friendly spaces available in all terminal parking areas.
There is a continuous stream of new tech being released and we’ll be keeping abreast of advances in innovation and introducing appropriate solutions to ensure we provide affordable options, convenience and technological solutions to ensure everything to do with parking at Queenstown Airport is efficient, safe and convenient.
Our journey doesn’t end here, we’ll continue to invest in ground transport and in the next 12 months and we’ll be looking to enable online booking for all car parking options, evaluating the introduction of a premium parking product aimed at the business and luxury market, as well as EV charging stations as part of the Company’s commitment to environmental solutions.
- Queenstown Airport ready for marathon weekend
- QAC celebrates Living Wage Aotearoa week
- Wānaka to Christchurch direct service begins
- Queenstown and Wānaka airports show commitment to safety and security during Airport Safety Week
- Spring Snow causing flight disruptions at Queenstown Airport
View All News