The Otago Regional Council, with support from the Queenstown Lakes District Council and New Zealand Transport Authority, operates the $2 Orbus network.
It is the easiest, most convenient, and most affordable way to get around Queenstown and Arrowtown.
The buses run to and from Queenstown Airport regularly throughout the day from 6 am until midnight.
Get a Bee Card!
- The $2 fare is only available to Bee Card holders. For passengers aged 5 to 18 years of age, the fare is even better at $1.50 per one-way trip.
- You can purchase a Bee Card online, or at the Otago Regional Council in Frankton (during business hours), or with cash on the bus as soon as you arrive.
- Without the Bee Card, the cash fare is $4 for all ages, with the exception of travelling to or from Queenstown Airport, where the cash fare is $8 for a child and $10 for an adult.
- If your bus journey involves a transfer, it still only costs $2 per adult. Just make sure that you board and tag on the next bus within 45 minutes of tagging off the previous bus.
- The minimum top-up for Bee Cards is $5. Bee Cards can be topped up anywhere that they’re sold. You can also top up online and set an auto top. Click here to find out more.
- There is a one-off cost of $5 to buy a Bee Card but once you have it you’ll have ongoing access to the $2 fare. Your Bee Card can also be used across numerous other bus networks in New Zealand. Click here to view all the regions where you can use your Bee Card.
- The Bee Card fare is $2 per adult or $1.50 per child for any one-way trip.
Routes and timetables:
- Route and timetable information can be viewed at www.orc.govt.nz/orbusqt
- Buses run regularly from 6 am until late, 7 days a week, and there are 4 return routes:
- Sunshine Bay to Remarkables Park (via the Airport) runs every 15 minutes right through until midnight
- Arrowtown to Arthurs Point (via Frankton) runs half-hourly on peak and hourly off-peak, through until 10 pm
- Kelvin Heights to Frankton Flats runs hourly through until 10 pm
- Lake Hayes Estate to Jacks Point runs half-hourly on peak and hourly off-peak, through until 10 pm